The medicine is the miracle

 


The blood thinners are working and breaking up those nasty clots in his leg vein. Yay! Just what we wanted to hear. There was still strands of the clot in his vein that they hope will continue to go away with use of the Eliquis. 


The notes in his file from his visit:

Patient will be on Eliquis lifelong. We will reimage in September. If all looks well we will do biannual imaging for the next 2 years. At that point will be able to switch to annual imaging if everything looks good. If there is any dilation of the bypass then we will increase the frequency of ultrasound. >>Next follow up will be in September and if there is no clots or complications then they think that will become his new vascular health baseline.


Tidbits from the conversation we had with Sheryl:

He can travel but needs to wear his compression sock when flying or on long car rides.  This will help prevent blood clots.

Sheryl (Vascular NP) told us that people at Mckay Dee still ask about him. "How's skill saw?" and we know that the Layton EMS team call him "Skill saw dude".  What a nickname, right?! Anyway...Sheryl says that Brigham's case will be used as a teaching case and will be remembered as a miracle.  She says the ER and the head anesthesiologist from the surgery frequently asks about Brig's recovery.  

Sheryl commented that during surgery everyone felt relieved once he was stable which took a long time.  We talked about how Layton EMS is using Brigham's case as a training case. (Which I'm realizing I haven't shared that story on the blog yet, I will next week) She agreed and said it will be used as a training case in many areas especially because they couldn't apply a tourniquet.  That is where his case is differs from other leg injuries. Then Sheryl stopped mid-thought and told Brigham that's who he should be thanking is the homeowner. You would have bled out so fast. Her being persistent and telling the paramedics that she had seen the wound and there was no where to tourniquet kept precious drops of blood in him. Sheryl told Brigham he should send her Christmas gifts forever. 

It was a more encouraging appointment and we enjoyed our chat today. Sheryl told Brigham she was so proud of how far he has come from the day of the accident. Me too. He has had courage, a positive attitude and worked hard. 


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last post I was struggling...again.  This journey is a bit up + down for me.  I pray a lot.  I talk to my Heavenly Father a lot. I cry a lot. And I choose faith a lot.  Here is an experience I shared on instagram where my prayer was answered.


My post from April 25th:

 After the doctors found 2 new blood clots in Brigham's leg I felt sad and defeated that he most likely would be on blood thinners for life. A few weeks later as I was driving in my car singing to the radio, a clear thought came into my mind, "the medicine is the miracle." I was surprised to be getting an answer to my prayers at that moment as I repeated it out loud with conviction..." the medication is the miracle."

Bottom line: He should NOT have lived. Any life with risks, complications, adaptions is an EXTRA day for him.  It is a GIFT. It is a MIRACLE. where was my gratitude for this medicine? For the knowledge of the doctors? For the ultrasound machine that detected the clots before they could travel to his heart, lung or brain. This was a gratitude check.

The scripture, "This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalms 118:24) was given to me by a friend shortly after Brigham's accident. It sits in my front room reminding me that the Lord is in details of my life. No need to fear or be sad. Rejoice and be glad. 

I pray that in YOUR life you will find the reasons to rejoice and give thanks!

Comments

  1. Every single time I read one of your posts 😭😭 I’m so grateful for all the miracles and I am so grateful for you sharing the journey with the rest of us—and what a nickname!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How encouraging and remarkable. Love your gratitude. So many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In tears again! So grateful he is still here! Love you! ♥️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day One- The Event (may be graphic details for some) + Surgery

Fasciotomy healing in pictures *warning* graphic photos

Impairment Rating